Oct 6, 2011

You've got 15 SECONDS to make them HAPPY!!

For Sandy Greenawalt, this is her purpose every day as she wakes and goes for work as a toll collector.

I've heard about this HAPPY woman as i was watching another episode of Oprah Winfrey's farewell season show. She was interviewing "Happy People" with Goldie Hawn co-hosting. As an avid Oprah Winfrey show fan, she played a huge part in forming the person that I am today as I watch her interview countless inspirational individuals. (between you and me, and anyone who will read this, i cried like a newborn baby when her talk show ended.)

Today, I was inspired by a woman who collects tolls.

Here is an excerpt taken from Pennlive :

Winfrey marveled at Greenawalt’s ability to enjoy a job many might find dull and thankless.

“She said the worst job must be in a toll booth. She asked if I like coming to work,” the 56-year-old Greenawalt said.

Pennsylvania <span class=

Over a live Internet telephone/video connection — Skype — she told Oprah she loves it. Brief chats with drivers are sprinkled with endearments. Everyone is sweetie, or hon or darlin’. She makes change while singing to Beach Boys and other '50s and '60s tunes on the radio. She wears costumes on holidays. Regular commuters share good news and pictures of their children.

On a recent frigid day, Greenawalt revealed her celebrated charm. “You be careful out there now, OK?” she said to a driver.

She asked others about road conditions, their work day and health. “Out there in the lanes is where the fun is,” Greenawalt said. “I love people. I really do. You have 15 seconds to make them smile and 99 percent of them will smile.”

Some cherish her simple courtesies. A woman whose car hit a deer along the highway parked at the interchange, stepped out and wrung her hands in distress. Greenawalt consoled her. The next day, a lush poinsettia plant came with a note of gratitude."

Upon hearing about her, I can't help but smile. Her happiness is contagious and it made me realized that the power of happiness lies in our own hands. Happiness is LEARNED, therefore we can CHOOSE happiness. Greenawalt was taught Happiness by her mother, and she chose to live Happy.

If a toll collector all the way from Pennsylvania can make me smile in 15 seconds, then I know i can do the same for those around me. If everyone feels the same way, then the world would be a happier and better place wouldn't it?


No comments: