Feb 5, 2011

To All Adults: Get Real!

Was at the hospital visiting a friend and in the host of others who joined later, I suppose everyone being in their 60-ish years (except moi), one gentleman said, "After talking to you, I feel that there's hope for young people after all."

Now, that's a nice compliment... but really? I've always felt that being young (or youthful) was always cause for hope. If the youth of our generation aren't living up to expectations, isn't also because of our elders?

They tell us to not bother about anything else except study. Read your books, get your A's.

Everything else is secondary except getting your degree, graduating summa cum laude, then become an accountant and make money. It's appalling the number of accountants and business graduates we churn who have no perspective except to bean-count.

A few drawbacks here: In the history of mankind, there's not been ONE accountant who's changed the world. Accountants don't make much money and spend most days counting the wealth of others. Accountants also have no imagination.

If you haven't guessed, by "Accountant" I mean all unimaginative, drone-like, suited-up professional who have not yet understood that you have to make your craft an ART.

I love Art.

I create Art each time I find a new math solution. I am Art each time I have a Eureka moment. I am the hidden Art when I balance financials. It's Poetry in Motion every time I close a project on time, on the money, no hitches. Pure elegance. Why don't they teach this in school rather than dish out purile, condescending ideas?

If our young people don't have perspective, no imagination, or lack the spirit of inquiry... perhaps it's because Adults killed it off.


They tell us:
Study, study, study. That's not for you to question, just DO!"
... so is it really justified, to say that you've met the saving grace of youths when you've met me?

That's absolute BOLLOCKS!

From the many hidden, latent, unseen talents of youths, I probably wouldn't even count as a drop in that ocean. Maybe just an evaporated whiff of talent.

In my years, I've seen so many more who have inspired and amazed me with their uniqueness, resourcefulness, creativity. I love my job because it's about helping young people tap into that inner greatness. And this is what I've found...

The biggest stumbling block to the enthusiasms of our youth is in the sheer number of adults. They propagate the myth that greatness can only happen to someone else, not you.

I'll give you everything - your iPod, your Wii, your BMW, just do the right thing i.e. what I tell you to. "Get your head out of the clouds and start working that calculator. Money doesn't grow on trees, so get a job that pays you money."

Because giving a child freedom, to think, to choose, to make their own 'rights' and 'wrongs', to find their own Truth and Path... is far more troublesome and difficult than a covert bribe.

We reap what we sow. Being young has always been an extraordinary experience, full of wonderment and possibility.

Question is: Are adults ready to take the hard route and allow them to fulfill their destinies... or have they already sentenced an entire generation to the gallows?

The Belgian surrealist Rene Magritte imagined The Son of Man (painting) to be faceless yet respectable by society's conventions. As much as adults praise individuality, innovation, creativity - we also insist that creativity, innovation, individuality only be done on our rules. And we wonder why it doesn't work?

No comments: