Feb 5, 2011

White Picket Fences

Was asked to participate in an organisation... and I... hesitated.
If there's anything I've learnt, that if there's even a little bit of hesitance... wait.


I sat back and asked myself: Why hesitate? 


And the reason is because I feel that it's an illusion. It's been a long journey to realisation, but for me, today, where I am... any association is like the far off dream of another White Picket Fence.
20051106-straightfence
 
What's the White Picket Fence? Literally, it's the neat successes and accomplishments we build in the exterior world that demarcates our existence. 



That neat little trophy by the corner, the new plaque on the wall, the next degree conferred. It validates who we are, what we have earned through blood, sweat and tears. The White Picket Fence gives meaning to why we exist.  It signifies our need to belong to something in order to quantify the usefulness of being here.


The White Picket Fence is an Illusion.


We do not own anything. There is nothing we can give or take away. In the final equation, don't we all die exactly the way we came in... empty-handed? I mean if there was something people could take with them in death... now THAT would be something worth associating with. But what?


Yet, we continue to draw up the Great Master Plans, we divide and rule. We continue building our White Picket Fence in all aspects of life.


Belonging to something validates who we are. However, my experience thus far is that by belonging anywhere, we limit ourselves to what we can possibly be. The price of belonging is independence, because in order to belong... we need to compromise. But if all I know is me, and all I have is me... then the possibilities are endless. 


I am no longer helpless, everything relies on me, and I am free to stand where my conscience dictates I stand. It's taken many years of associating, but I've realised the futility of it... and the infinite possibilities that open once we take that first step into the Unknown alone, without a crutch or the security of having other people's approval. If the intention is to free humanity, in its truest sense, how can that possibly be done by creating more division. When we set people free, we cannot dictate how they will fly.  


And as the world works in patterns and themes, I am reminded again and again that Truth is a Pathless Land


As someone once told me: Your good, is good enough. Societies, associations, movements... they all have their function. They also have their politics and evolution (or deviance from its original spirit) But there is something greater, more fulfilling than that. 


Beyond the White Picket Fence... is the Great Beyond. 


The human spirit is greater than what any organisation could possibly represent. We do not need to leverage off the power of associations in order to BECOME that Ultimate Man. We just need an inner transformation. The World will then take take care of itself. 


Having mistakenly placed my faith in external movements, forces and organisations... once that was dropped, I realised that I was the biggest Changemaker in the World. I didn't need any other association except Faith in what I do. 


The verdict thus far? I don't know how... it just works.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No man is an island not even an island stands alone it only appears to be alone but beneath the surface all is connected as with man we only appear to be separate.